Tackling Corruption from the Supply Side.

Improving and implementing feedback driven improvements in public offices and departments

Tackling Corruption from the Supply Side.

Postby Sharth » Mon May 21, 2012 8:11 pm

Hello everyone.

My project topic is "Tackling Corruption from the Supply Side". As we all know, corruption is a major topic that our country is battling against at this point of time. But most of the anti-corruption efforts are focused mainly on the demand side, i.e. the bribe seeking side. But the supply side, i.e. the bribe paying side, is often ignored in our anti-corruption efforts. The supply side of the corruption mainly consists of corporate and companies(often private sector). Nowadays, companies are willingly partnering the government officials in corruption to get their work done easily. As the main motive of the companies is commercial gain, unless they believe that it makes a good business sense to run their business empire on ethical edifice, the anti-corruption efforts would fail significantly. There is need therefore, for exploring the feasibility of a strong business case relevant to India, based upon ethically sound and successful cases internationally.

This is a topic which needs to be given utmost importance if India needs to curb corruption over a long term. I would, therefore, welcome suggestions and queries on this topic from all readers which would help to find an effective solution to the problem.
Sharth

Re: Tackling Corruption from the Supply Side.

Postby Sharth » Thu May 24, 2012 10:21 am

Hello everyone,

I have been doing my study on the topic of tackling corruption from supply side. And during this study, I have come across a few issues that need suggestions and comments. So, I would like to have suggestions of all the readers on following issues:

1. Whistle blowing is a major reason that helped to bring down corruption in countries such as United States. But there are also many risks involved in whistle blowing, with acts of firing from job to deaths meeting the people who have been indulged in whistle blowing. In recent years, India has been trying to pass law for protection of whistle blowers. But there is no incentive for whistle blowers in the country. I have been thinking about monetary incentives. But apart from this do you think there is any incentive for the whistle blower when there are risks of losing job? Why do you think you would be motivated for whistle blowing?

2. The ethics education in the MBA programmes in the nation is not a compulsory subject. But there are few universities which impart ethics education and they are of the view that the program is effective in improving the moral values of the students when they pursue their jobs. I have been thinking about two options for this type of ethics education. Please give a view on which will be better, ethics education in colleges or after joining company?

3. Should there be any such punishment of not hiring someone if indulged in corruption? If yes, what should be time period till which he cannot be hired?

Do give your valuable suggestions.
Sharth

Return to Improving Accountability, Efficiency and Transparency of Public Offices